Plumbing emergency can happen at any time, be it a pipe burst, clogged toilet or a leaky faucet. If not serviced immediately, the damages may run up to thousands of dollars and can be extremely stress inducing.
At Neo Plumbing, our emergency plumbers are available 24/7 to service you fast and fix any problem you have.
Below are some of the emergency tips you can try to get the situation under control.
1. If the leak is near the toilet or under the sink, try and find the shut-off valve, also called stop valve, and turn off the water to the fixture which is leaking. If you can not find any stop valves or if you are unable to trace the leak, locate your Main Shut-Off valve which is usually in the basement or under the crawl space. For Apartment buildings, condos or co-ops, each house may not have a Main Shut-Off valve. In that case, find the building superintendent who can help you to turn off the water to your house. In many cases, this might turn off the water to an entire floor or to the entire building.
2. For small leaks, find some rags and try to wrap around the pipe which is leaking and also put a bucket under the leak. It is also a good idea to keep plumber’s putty or plumber’s tape handy to temporarily stop the leak if the water pressure is low.
3. Call a plumber and describe the problem. At Neo Plumbing, we will assist you to take any additional measures to help you with the emergency until the plumber arrives.
4. Clear the area and make space for the plumber to service the plumbing emergency.
3. Clear away all the spilled water to prevent damage to wood flooring, carpets etc. Fast clean-up also ensures that there is no mold or mildew build-up.